An Unforgettable Road Trip
In 1960 President John Kennedy and Gov. Olin Johnston carried the state of South Carolina with a promise to the good citizens of the upstate that Donaldson Air Force Base in Greenville, SC would remain open.
So it was June of 1962, as the air-base began to close, that Sgt. Bob Sams and family pulled out of Greenville, SC and headed out to Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, Texas.
Traveling Party: 2 adults, 2 older kids, 1 younger kid and a newborn, packed into a borrowed 1960 Ford Thunderbird Convertible… hanging out both sides.
Weather Summary: Hot, Hotter, Hottest! Intermittently Rain then Rainier, and ending with “Dry as Dust.”
1) Atlanta: went to Braves game- Nose bleed section- Saw (or imagined) 5 homeruns. Aaron hit 1, Astros hit 4.
2) Pascagoula, Mississippi…. Visited friends… Ate freshly caught shrimp… boiled and served with homemade shrimp sauce. All you could eat… First, and therefore the Best, I’ve ever had!
3) Crossed the sweltering Mississippi River… Memory- A Big Muddy River…
4) New Orleans… Memory - Slept through it…
5) East Texas to Central Texas… Memory: Green went to Brown… Trees turned into Shrubs.
6) Fort Worth Texas… Horned-toads, Tarantulas, Scorpions, and Jack Rabbits.
Dad handled his “joy” responsibly.
Mom: Trip was fun but had a lingering sense that we
were leaving God’s Country to the Devil’s Country!
Kids’ view of things: Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
Summer is a time of much travel. As many of you may be vacationing and visiting other places there will be memories made. Memories help us to re-visit things of the past, to recall times, peoples, places that have made a deep impression on our lives. Memories can be blessings but we cannot live in the past alone – we have to keep on our earthly journey. The Bible describes Christians as “pilgrims and strangers” (Hebrews 11:13 & I Peter 2:11). We never truly arrive home until we pass into Beulah Land… Until then we keep moving forward marching to the commands of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We’ve just come off the heels of many ministries: Operation-In-As-Much, Tent Crusade, Homecoming and just last week a truly wonderful blessing of Vacation Bible School. SummerKIDS and Caswell Youth Trip, and much more lie ahead. Our Nominating Team is preparing leadership for our church to be on the move for this next year. Let’s let the top down and hang out the sides, and enthusiastically stay on this trip of following Jesus.
Finally, remember that Asheville is a huge destination for visitors from all over the country and world - they will leave from here with memories and impressions. We are to practice intentional “Christian hospitality” (Romans 12:13) and leave a lasting impression for the sake of love of Jesus Christ.
Well I’ve sit here long enough; it’s time to get up and get moving,